How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a conviction without violence. I had

This answer was rated:

I have a conviction for harassment without violence. I had a suspended sentence for 1 year. This was set by a crown court in June/July 2005. Is this conviction spent? Can this be cleared if a check is done by a new employer. I need some advice please.
E Keating
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Was the imprisonment period of one year or suspended for one year?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was not imprisoned but given suspended sentence.

Yes, so was that the imprisonment period or the suspension period?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I am confused. I can only remember court issuing a suspended sentence for 1 Year. Do not have details to hand or court documents. If it helps. I was in Crown court Southampton.

OK. Proceeding on the basis of the worst case scenario, that was the imprisonment period.
If so, it would be spent after 10 years. So, depending on the date of sentence it would be spent. If you were sentenced in the summer of 2005 then it would drop off this summer.
If that was the suspension period then the imprisonment period was obviously going to be far less and probably under 6 months. If so, that would mean it would have been spent after 7 years which would long since have passed.
Therefore, either way, it is spent or soon will be.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you