How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35074
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Having married a Gambian man in The Gambia we were advised

that a divorce done in... Show More
that a divorce done in the UK would not be recognised in The Gambia so being kind to him I agreed to wait for a year for him to go home and complete the divorce process in The Gambia as this (I am told) is recognised here as our wedding was. However the divorce papers have come back with spelling mistakes in the names and I am worried that this is a big problem should I wish to remarry. There is no reference to the original marriage certificate number which had the correct spellings on and I don't believe that my name is ***** ***** the divorce papers as being me.
I have been advised that it is fine in The Gambia but want advice on where I stand in the eyes of the UK law. My original solicitor in the UK is unable to advise me and I have struggled to find one that can. Please please can someone help me?
The errors in the names are ***** ***** (correct spellings on the left) -
Bailey -> Balley
Silameh -> Sillameh
Jacqueline -> Jackling
Jacqueline -> Jadding
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Show Less
Ask Your Own Law Question
replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have you sought any advice from a Gambian lawyer?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Not personally but I have been told that when the papers were collected the mistakes were questioned and the answer was that the papers are signed and stamped so there is no problem.

Clare, Solicitor replied 3 years ago.
Does the divorce decree actually refer to the date of the marriage?
Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

No. There is no reference to it at all - not even to the marriage certificate number. The only dates on there are the date that I asked him for a divorce and the date that the divorce was certified ie the date the form was completed.

Clare, Solicitor replied 3 years ago.
The Gambian divorce is indeed recognised here in the Uk - so it was a reasonable choice for you to make
However I agree the spelling errors could give you problems in the future and that being the case it is sensible to take action now.
One option would be to take your copy marriage Certificate and the divorce Decree to your local Registrars office and ask for an opinion.
They may be more accustomed to such problems than we realise!
Assuming there is a problem you may need to instruct a Gambian lawyer to obtain an amended Order from the Court
You can find a list of lawyers of some standing here
I hope that this is of some assistance - please ask if you need further details