How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10776
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I have a small plot of land which has an "uplift covenant" any change of use val

This answer was rated:

I have a small plot of land which has an "uplift covenant" any change of use value to build dwelling on etc !, There are two transferor's on the document TP1 land registry Title {Mr A & Mr B} Mr A the Transferor's is willing to take off this clause which will include a small payment per house {depending if planning permission is granted}, the uplift agreement will be at its end in December 2016 including the change "per dwelling" to be concurrent!. ~ My question is if I were to pay off Mr A ~ will I need to pay MrB ? as both are on the TP1 land registration Title.
If just the one transferor accepts this agreement will it be a final payment at this stage, will I need to also pay Mr B?
Will Mr B have any rights to pursue any remunerations from myself?
Thank You

Hi Gary and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid he will certianly need Mr B's consent/agreement, as he has an equal entitlement under the overage/uplift agreement. If you were to pay off Mr A alone, Mr B could still enforce the uplift provision, so you would be in a worse position than you are now!

On a side point, it would be normal for their interest in the property to be registered as a Restriction on your title. In order to remove such a Restriction, Mr A and B would need to sign the appropriate Land Registry form withdrawing this Restriction from your title.

I hope this helps and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you