How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12193
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

The pay back from our daughter and son in law gift

This answer was rated:

The pay back from our daughter and son in law for the gift of the property will be the construction of an annex into which we will move in 5 years time when we retire completely. If we subsequently require care how will the property be viewed as possibly being used to offset care fees?
Thank you for your question.
It won't be taken into account because the property is their home. The fact that you paid for it is irrelevant. The purpose of the gift wasn't to deprive yourself of assets to avoid paying care home fees. The purpose of the gift was to give them, and in due course, you a home to stay in.
Accordingly the transaction was for the better management of your affairs.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you