How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12076
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have paid £3000 deposit on new windows and doors but company

This answer was rated:

Hi I have paid £3000 deposit on new windows and doors but company cannot be contacted by email or phone any longer they are a ltd company.
Can you help please .?
Thank you for your question.
I do legal work in connection with home improvement companies in Scotland. Can you give me the name of the company and I might be able to find out something for you.
Can you also tell me how the payment to this comany was made, ie, cheque, cash, credit card etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The company are called Seaforth Windows and home improvements Ltd who had a showroom in Turriff Aberdeenshire but whose registered address is Lhambryde in Morayshire.
I paid a deposit of £3000 in January by bank transfer and have had numerous communications and surveyors to my property but until recently I am unable to contact them by any form.
You'll see from Google Streetview that the registered office address is a house:
IV30 8JX
I presume the director, Alan Duncan, lives there. The company has recently been threatened, for a second time, to be struck off the register, presumably for not lodging accounts and annual returns because nothing has been lodged since 2013.
If the business premises are closed, you can raise court action under small claim procedure at the house address but it does have the hallmarks of a person who has taken money with no intention of delivering the goods.
That of course is fraud but you may have difficulty in interesting the police.
I will make enquiries with my contacts and see if I can get any further information for you.
JGM and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do we any further details regarding this company and what options I have at the moment ?
My trading clients have not heard of this company but they deal with company reps who may know of them and they have promised to ask them.
In the meantime your options are to raise small claim proceeds, report this as a fraud to the police and contact trading standards.
You could also visit the address of the registerd office and confront the director.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Who do I raise my claim against the director or the company as they are registered as a ltd company !
Your contract is with the company so you raise against the company.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.