How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35071
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

, I am about to move in with my partner and we are going

This answer was rated:

I am about to move in with my partner and we are going to buy a house together. I have a house in my name which I may sell in order to buy a house together. She has two children age 9 and 7 they would live with us and I have 2 children age 15 and 10 currently living with my ex. The 10 year old may come and live with us. At what point do we become common law partners. And what would happen to assets, liabilities of support of children etc. If there was a subsequent breakup?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
There is no such legal entity as a Common Law Partner.
If you do not marry then in the event of a split any joint assets will have to be divided between you and you will each retain assets in your sole name.
If you wish to protect the extra investment in the property then you should ensure that there is a Declaration of Trust confirming the shares in which you own the property.
This does change if you have children together or if you marry
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you