How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am currently considering relinquishing my parental rights

Customer Question

I am currently considering relinquishing my parental rights as a parent and I need guidance on where to find relevant research on guiding me make the correct decision going forward. I am British and want to do what is right for my daughter that I am never allowed contact with or visitations. I do not want to have on going court cases I just want to what is in the best interest of the child.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and what exactly do you wish to achieve?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Clare,

Thank you for you response. She is 7 years old and lives with her mother in England and has been since 2010. I have maybe seen my daughter 5 times since then and have not seen her in two years and have had no contact. I live in Africa and do not have the funds to get on a plane and go and see her and her mother refuses to send her out to me and my new family for holidays and such. My estranged wife has now made a maintenance claim against me and the amount that she is demanding I simply cannot afford. My estranged wife according resources is getting remarried and I want to relinquish my parental rights to my estranged wife in order to give her new husband the opportunity to adopt my daughter and create a family life that she will never have with me or my new family.

In short I want to do what is right and give my daughter the best opportunity of moving on with her life and not have her parents fighting all the time. As we have been since our divorce. It will also not be fair on my daughter to fight my estranged wife for custody as it can leave irreparable psychological damage on my daughter. Her mother has also been telling untruths and my daughter according through family members have built up a resilience against me and my new family through what she has heard from her mother and friends.

Please I just want to do what is right with the slightest damage.

Thank you

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Has your ex indicated that her new partner wishes to adopt the child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No not currently but she has indicated in the past that her previous partners wanted to.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
I am afraid that there is no action whatsoever that YOU can take to relinquish your Parental Responsibility for the child.
Your only option is to let your ex know that you woudl be willing to agree to an adoption and to cooperate fully if one is applied for
I am sorry not to give better news but this is simply not an option in the UK legal system
Please ask if you need further details