How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35058
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My daughter [43] died recently. The police and social services

This answer was rated:

My daughter [43] died recently. The police and social services will not give me any information.
As she probably died from a drug overdose [toxology pending] I suspect that she has no assets but how do I register as her personal representative to deal with everything, or is it necessary.
The police will not release her keys or other items confiscated at the time.
I have been going round in circles for the last two weeks trying to get answers only to be told today, finally, that all information is covered by the data protection act.
The only info given was just enough to cremate her.
I would appreciate it if you could help.
Patricia Ford
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I am so sorry for your loss
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Just to check - was your daughter married or did she have children?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Clare

I am sorry for the delay responding but I was away at the weekend.

My daughter [Claire also} was a widow with two children. A son 23 brought up by her sister and a daughter 14 removed from her care aged 10 and being raised by her paternal grandparents.Neither child was her husbands.

Her son refuses to have anything to do with his birth mother alive or dead.

I hope this doesn`t complicate things further

With thanks


Would your grandson be willing to sign an authorisation to allow you to deal with the matter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Clare

That will not be a problem.


Then that is what you need in Order to be able to deal with matters.
As her adult son it is his right to deal with the estate and all matters pertaining to it - including the circumstances regarding her death.
Accordingly you need to get him to write confirming that as her son and acting on behalf of himself and his minor sister he is authorising you to deal with and any all matters regarding his mother's estate.
You then write to the Police and to Social Services and point out that you are acting in respect of the Administration of the Estate on behalf of the children and that accordingly you are entitled to the information requested.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you