How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10776
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Mother has just died I have the will (done by attey bower jones)some

This answer was rated:

Mother has just died I have the will (done by attey bower jones)some words not visible what can I do to get another copy now that the above have stopped trading.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Ideally, you do need to get hold of the original Will.

You therefore need to contact the SRA

and they will tell you which firm are holding Attey's Wills. Clients files and documents do not simply get destroyed when a firm goes out of business.

As regards ***** ***** etc, depending on what monies your Mother left, it may be necessary for you and your sister to obtain Probate.

Basically, if your Mother's Estate is under £10,000, most Banks will be happy to close the acoc**t and pay the monies to the next of kin/Executors, upon them signing a Declaration confirming they are entitled to the monies. In this regard, a copy of the Will won't be required, so the copy you have will not cause an issue.

However, if the Estate is over £10,000, Probate will be required, and this entails producing th eoriginal Will to the Probate Registry.

If for some reason the original Will can not be produced, the Probate Registry will accept a copy provided you provide a declaration confirming that the original has been lost and explaining the circumstances.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you