How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35078
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am named as inheriting 4/5 of my deceased uncle's estate. However,

This answer was rated:

I am named as inheriting 4/5 of my deceased uncle's estate.
However, he named a firm of solicitors as Executors
(namely any 2 partners in the firm). It has been over
a year since he died and I found out that little has
been done to settle his estate - even the undertakers
have not been paid. I contacted the head partner and
she said it was a difficult estate to settle and that
she had no help available (apparently she sold her
practice to another firm recently but retained this case).
I am intimately familiar with my uncle's affairs (I have
copies of all his relevent papers, bank account statements,
investments, bonds etc and have no doubt a competent
person could settle the estate in a few months).
What are my rights and what should my next steps be given
that the solicitor is not responding to my emails?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
have you asked her if she would be willing to renounce her Executorship and allow you to take over?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I haven't asked her to do that but I suspect she will not. Can an Executor pass on their responsibility to someone else?

Given that a year has gone by and she appears to have done nothing at all then yes there is a reasonable chance that the Solicitor would agree to Renounce the Executorship.
This would leave a partial intestacy but as one of the nearest surviving relatives you woudl then be able to apply for Letters of Administration with Will attached.
The reason I suspect that she will agree is that technically she is already negligent in having left the matter so long and she could become liable for any loss you or the other beneficiary might suffer as a result of the delay.
I suggest that you make an appointment to see her and politely ask if she will renounce the role
If she will not then you may need to consider making an application to the court to have her replaced
details here
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Clare, I really appreciate your excellent advice. I will make an appointment to see her in the UK in the next couple of weeks (I am based in the USA ). If I need to make an application to the court to have her replaced could you act for me in this matter?

I am afraid that we cannot have contact outside of this forum
However you should be able to find a suitable lawyer using this website