How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My neighbour has this week built a new garage door frame beside

This answer was rated:

My neighbour has this week built a new garage door frame beside his property, with one of the side post of the frame clearly on our side of the boundary line. He has refused to remove it. Do I contact the police or the council planning department or is the only option taking him to court?
Also, I notified the builder this morning (my neighbour was away) that he had placed part of the construction - which was at that stage incomplete - on my land without my permission and demanded - in writing - he remove it and did not build on our land without our written permission; instead, he completed the structure today: has he committed an offence by ignoring my demands?
Thank you for your question.
There is no breach of planning, nor has an offence been committed so there's no point in contacting the planners or the police.
Your only option is to go to the civil court for an order making your neighbour take the structure off your land. You will probably win although you would have to fund th action in th first instance, moving for costs at th conclusion of th case if you win.
You have to think whether you want to finance this and engage in litigation with your neighbour, all likely to be expensive, lengthy and stressful. You have to clear that it's going to be worth it to you.
In any event a letter from your solicitor should be the first stage here.
I hope this helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you