How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Even though I am a garantor on a loan and a person is not paying

This answer was rated:

Even though I am a garantor on a loan and a person is not paying his half of the repayments and I am haviung to pay the amount due each month am I able to take him to court to claim his half of the payments
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
If the person you are guaranteeing is defaulting upon the loan and you are having to pay out upon it then you have a claim against him.
There is an implicit term in your contract with him that he will make payments upon this loan otherwise the loan would be in your name. He is not. That is a breach.
You can seek compensation at the small claims court if the sum is under £10k.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you give me any information how to go about this

You can issue here
It is a very simple process with the forms prompting the information you need.
It is probably a good idea to write to him first demanding that payment begins and making clear that you will sue in default. May work. May not but it is free to do.