How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I divorced from my former wife in 1976. I moved out of the

Customer Question

I divorced from my former wife in 1976. I moved out of the marital home but she still lives there. I have continued to pay the buildings and contents insurance by direct debit for the marital house over the period since divorce. The insurance company claims that the contents insurance component of the insurance was not valid since 1976 because my former wife (mother of my children) is not a member of the family. So, for 39 years I have been paying a premium for contents insurance which was never valid. I was never informed of this condition because the insurance company failed to respond to my notice that I had moved out of the marital home and continued to send all correspondence to the wrong address since 2003. 1. Is my former wife not a member of my family? 2. Since I continued to pay for insurance which the company would not have honoured should I claim the impotent premium payments?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How did the issue come to light?