How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12081
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

How can members of a devolved Scottish Parliament, with a seat

This answer was rated:

How can members of a devolved Scottish Parliament, with a seat in Scotland be allowed to vote in Westminster.
Surely, when Edinburgh was set up it took away their prescence in Westminster!
Thank you for your question.
Which members are you referring to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All MPs with a seat in Scotland.

MPs with a seat in England aren't members of the devolved parliament. Only MSPs are members of the devolvd parliament. MPs vote in Westminster, MSPs vote in Edinburgh. There is a two tier system of government at present.
The Scotland Act provided for that, rightly or wrongly so it is legal. I suspect your question is political or philosophical and is validly made but I am only qualified to discuss the law.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No doubt the Scotland Act permits a Scottish MP to have a seat in Westminster AND Edinburgh.

So much for a devolved Scottish Parliament.

What year or other references can I use to find the Act on the web please!

Here is the link to the Act.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry. before I give you excellent, can you please look at my second question:

Is there a Media Ombudsman please because I am totally ignored by the press & TV Political experts.

Promise that this will be the end of it!

Yes, here you go.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you