How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10737
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

, just over a year ago I started renting a small building,

Customer Question

Hi, just over a year ago I started renting a small building, it was a single room shell. I have converted the room into a two room successful take away business. For personal reasons I have to give up the business and now feel I am not getting the money I deserve from the place. The owner has found someone to take on the place, I am expected to just accept whatever the new tenant is willing to pay for my equipment and goods. I am not getting any reimbursement for the upgrades I have made to the property. The property has been greatly enhanced by my work. I have completely rewired and created a great rental business for the owner to profit from. I am looking to see if there is anything I can do to get what I think I am due. Many thanks Linda Thomson
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid that a Tenant under a commercial Lease is not entitled to any recompense for any improvements they make to their premises.

You therefore do not have the right to ask the Landlord to compensate you at all.

You should instruct an Agent to advertise your business for sale, in the hope that you get the correct market value, to include the goodwill of your business.

I am sorry this is perhaps not the answer you were hoping for, but hope I have assisted you.

Kind Regards