How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12067
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I met my wife 9 years ago about 18 months prior to me meeting

Customer Question

I met my wife 9 years ago about 18 months prior to me meeting her she was treasurer of a sports and social club /community center an accusation was made about moving funds without authorization and giving payments to her ex husband who was steward off the club.Both of which she denied at the time she had a good position with one of the major banks and is honest as the day is long.
To cut a long story short the committee at the time had a meeting in her absence and gave her a lifetime ban at the time she rang the police to see if they would investigate the allegation but she was told they could not investigate it as no complaint has been made.
When we met i joined the said club and have tried over the years to speak to committee members without much luck but gave up a couple of years ago until now as half of the committee are now new i put in a polite letter saying it is now 10 years ago the accusations were made as the club is local we would like to visit as a family can they please look at overturning the ban.I have just received a letter after 5 weeks telling me the lifetime ban stands and this decision is unanimous.
If that is the case someone on the committee is feeding all the new members a pack of lies for them to come to this decision Ie making allegations about her dishonesty From what i understand a couple of people have told so many tales to so many people they are just sticking by it.
What can we do to get to the truth.
Can they give a lifetime ban on an accusation from one or two people that cannot be supported by any evidence.
As this is not a public house but a sports and social club / community center formally miners welfare is this an infringement of her human rights ? as other people are allowed in the club that have committed offenses and been prosecuted in a court of law.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
I'm afraid that, unless under equality legislation, a private club can choose to exclude anyone they want. The only way to deal with this is to prove innocence.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I gathered that may be the case but need advice on what route to take do that

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
I don't think there is any route to do that unless the club were prepared to cooperate and hold some kind of hearing, and as I mentioned above they can choose to include or exclude whoever they want except on equality grounds.