How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10774
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

i live in a council house, terraced, but next door owns theirs-there

This answer was rated:

i live in a council house, terraced, but next door owns theirs-there is an alley which the council said i am entitled to use-his house stretches over the alleyway. however, he has blocked the access with his vehicles, so i am unable to get my rubbish, lawnmower etc out? asked if he could make access clear and was told to f off? he also thinks the ground in the alley belongs to him and from the alley to the pavement? how do i find out if this is true?

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

In a terrace set up, it would be normal for one property to own the alleyway, subject to a right for the respective neighbours to have a right of way over it.

You can find out this information quite easily, by obtaining a copy of the Deeds from the Land Registry website-

The Deeds official name is "Official Copies" and here is the link to the Land Registry website-

You are probably best to get a copy of the neighbours deeds, and in the Register, it will say if the alleyway is subject to any rights of way in favour of your property.

If you do have a right of way, your neighbour is legally bound to keep free from obstruction the alleyway, to enable you to exercise your right day or night.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

trying the land registry but not good on pc-need the deeds? can you help?

Hi Mary,

I can obtain a copy but this will cost me personally £6.

You can, however, apply to the Land Registry for a copy of the Deeds via the post.

You must use form OC1 when lodging a paper application.

Where the property is known to be registered (which it will be) and has a postal address (for instance***** Anytown) but the title number is ***** readily available, you may write, “please supply the title number” boldly at the head of the form or in panel 2. You must then state the nature of the title in which you are interested in the second part of panel 2- this will be "Freehold".

OC1 link-

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

think i just ordered it? but its on about downloading etc-i cant do that. may as well give up! i wanted paper, but its all too difficult for me! thanks anyway. mary.

Hi Mary,

You can apply by post.

If you have any problems with it, just phone the Land Registry- they are very helpful.

If i have assisted you, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

council have said he cant block access? but can you get me the deeds on paper ?


As this is only a question and answer site, I am afraid I am unable to obtain copy Deeds for you as these need to be paid for at the Land Registry.


Kind Regards