How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Can anything be done to prevent an ex tenant from using an

This answer was rated:

Can anything be done to prevent an ex tenant from using an address which he left a number of months ago. Unfortunately as landlords we have no forwarding address but are still being bombarded with mail from debt collectors and demands for money. The flat has just been sold so would like to avoid the new owners having to deal with the problem. Thank you for your help. Annette Wallman
Hello Annette,

Unfortunately not much can be done legally other than to return the mail or ring up the debt collection agencies and inform them that the person no longer lives at that address and to stop sending their mail to that address.

This is a common problem with properties which have been previously let out and I face the same issues. I just ignore the mail or discard it as I have long since tired of returning the mail and explaining that the person does not live at the address any more.

All the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is quite disappointing. My concern is that bailiffs will arrive on the doorstep. I had hoped that maybe the Post Office could intercept.
Unfortunately Royal Mail or the Post Office cannot do anything as they have a duty to deliver the mail as addressed.
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help. Annette