How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My granddaughter is a nineteen year old unmarried mother with

This answer was rated:

My granddaughter is a nineteen year old unmarried mother with a three your old child on housing benefit. Her rent is paid to the landlord direct by the local council. There are several issues with the property, the boiler does not work, the toilet blocks up from time to time, the shower does not work and some time ago there were rats in the premises which were controlled but seem to be in evidence again. the landlord refuses to take responsibility and the council merely tell her to take it up with the landlord. She is nearing the end of her tether and the flat does not seem to be fit for purpose. She would appear to be eligible for legal aid and perhaps the best way forward is to consult a solicitor. What specialist solicitor should she be seeking?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Any housing firm will be able to help with this but if she cannot get legal aid then she will have to pay.
The other alternative is to just complain to Environmental Health who would have an interest in this matter if the house is as you say. They will just issue an improvement notice forcing the landlord to rectify this within a specified period of time usually of 14 days.
She could rectify it herself and then sue for the cost or sue for disrepair. It is not an option to withhold from rent here obviously because she doesn't pay the rent herself.
She can always get a firm to write to him but there would be cost in that and Environmental Health are free.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you