How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My son's ex partner borrowed £800 from me 4 years ago, promising

This answer was rated:

My son's ex partner borrowed £800 from me 4 years ago, promising she would pay me back 'as much as she could afford' each month. She said that she had left her purse in a shop, with their rent and childrens
school uniform money in .She told me she had gone back to the shop and looked at cctv to see who could have picked it up but to no avail. I wasn't to tell my son as he would be angry!
I received £60 only, then nothing since!
The 'lost purse' was at their home the following time I visited, I quizzed her about the incident but she denied that was her returned purse!
I have been asking her numerous times since to repay the loan but have always been told she forgot, she lost bank details. I have not been to see my grandchildren for 2 years as my son and her split up. She won't let me see the children now so I wish to make a legal claim against her to reclaim my money.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I go to a small claims process?

And do I need an official letter of intention to proceed?

This person declared herself bankrupt 5 years ago so I have a feeling that she may use this system again so as not to repay the loan!

Well, there is that risk.
Is she working?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She claims single parent benefit, invalidity benefit for her son, housing benefit, exemption from council charges, child benefit x 3 and anything else she can apply for.

Yes, she is the type that might not be worth suing. In my opinion, not worthy of a relationship either as they always are the harbringer of trouble. Never lend money to a person in that position.
You can sue at the small claims court. It is a small claims court sum.
You are taking the risk that you may not get the money. The reality is that she will never work. She will just keep having children if we are honest with each other. You can still send bailiffs to seize things like her vehicle but you are racking up the cost and also young ladies like that are quite well aware of how to escape consequences by pretending to be a victim.
However, if you don't sue then you will be writing this money off forever so I can understand your view of this. Ultimately she may pay. That does happen quite often.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you