How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10774
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

could you please advise me my mother passed away last year

This answer was rated:

could you please advise me my mother passed away last year and her will went to probate and was recieved in january now my neice and nephew say they dont agree with there inheritence they should get more because my mother had previously said she would give them more she had also said the same to lots of people but it was just what she said what should i do the property was sold only yesterday and i have paid some of my mothers bills but have been told that i shouldnt use the money but these things have been due for many months

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could you please confirm what the Will says as to who gets what and is there any specific mention of the house?

I look forward to hearing from you.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the will specified that all five grandchildren got 5000 each and the remainder of the money left from property was mine

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your reply.

If the Will does just stipulate that the grandchildren receive £5,000 and then whatever is left is due to you, then you are under a duty to pay any outstanding bills/debts first and then distribute the monies in accordance with the Will.

The fact that your Mother may have mentioned in passing to various family members that they would receive £X has no legal standing whatsoever, and the terms of the Will stand. Only if a party makes a claim against the Estate (normally where a financially dependent family member has not been left reasonable financial provision) would you need to distribute the monies otherwise than in accordance with what the Will says.

You therefore need to be strong and not swayed by the other family members.

I hope this assists you.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much you have been a great help kind regards ***** *****

Thanks Michelle,

If I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

All the best


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you