How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34906
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I own three parcels of land as half shares with my sister

This answer was rated:

Hi I own three parcels of land as half shares with my sister as tenants in common I
have been advised by my solicitor that I can not force a sale of some or all of these parcels of land without 100% agreement on the part of my sister even if I take her to court if this is true how do I resolve this.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Has your solicitor said WHY the normal provision do not apply?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi I am sure the normal provision do apply as she has not said that they do not.

I do not no what the normal provision is as regards this.

L K Hurn.

Can you confirm what the land is and how you came to own it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Land is as follows Bury Farm 166.2 acres.

7.6 acres keely lane

54.6 acres river lane brampton

Land was put in three names in 1984 as a deed of gift myself sister and our uncle, when our uncle died in 2009 he left his third share split 50/50 with my sister.

When the gift was given were there any conditions attached?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Only condition was that the donor could live at Bury Farm for the remainder of his life for the rent of £1.00 per annum he died in 1985.

Looking at the Deed it also states the donees and their successors in title can lease or otherwise dipose of all or any part of said property with all the powers of an absolute owner.

In that case there is no reason why you cannot apply to the court for an Order for the sale of one or more of the properties using the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act
This is because Joint Owners of a property always hold the property on a Trust for sale - and the court has the power to end that Trust.
Unless your solicitor gives you a detailed explanation as to WHY such a Court application would not be successful then it is an option that is open to you
please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you