How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34894
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Wife leaving/divorce. House occupied by me,son 19 dtr 21,my

This answer was rated:

Wife leaving/divorce. House occupied by me,son 19 dtr 21,my mother 93 (she put in £30K to buy house 15 yrs ago. house value £250K. How much will Wife be entitled to?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together and how much is outstanding on any mortgage?
What other assets are there and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

(1) 25 yrs (2) No mortgage (3) same/low/£15K pa each

How much did the house cost to buy and what was the agreement with your mother when she invested the money?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

(1) £120K (2) House is her home as well as ours

Is your mother named on the Title deeds - how did she protect her 25% investment in the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

(1) in our honesty. Neither wife nor I had £30K at the time of purchase.Unable to buy without her help. (2) My name only on title deeds originally. Wife now registered an interest

Since your mother invested 25% of the pice of the property she can argue that she remains entitled to 25% of the equity - leaving £187,500 to be divided between you and your wife.
Given the length of the marriage the starting point for division id 50/50 meaning that your ex is entitled to something in the region of £94,000.
I hope that this is of some assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you