How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35055
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

, please can you help, I'm beside myself at the moment from

This answer was rated:

Hi, please can you help, I'm beside myself at the moment from a text I recieved from an ex-lover.
Shamefully, I had an affair. Both of us were married, his wife found out and it has been a bitter split between them. My husband does not know about this affair and I have stayed with my husband much to the dismay/bitterness of the man I had an affair with.
I recieved a text of him this morning stating that he had recieved his divorce petition and I got a lot of mentions in it. Apparentley, I can expect a letter from her solicitor as I've been named as the other party in an adultery case. Will I recieve a letter, if so, what can i expect ? and what will I need to do etc ?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Remember this man is bitter so he may not be telling the truth.
If you do receive a copy of the Petition you can simply acknowledge receipt and refuse to answer the question regarding the adultery IF that is you actually receive it
It is unlikely that her solicitor will write to you.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Clare, can you clarify that if I receive a copy of the Petition, would my husband find out and also if I answer the question to Adultery would that cause more problems/implications for me work and financially.

I work for the Police and do not want my name dragged through courts etc especially if my employers are going to find out.

He will only find out if you tell him - or more likely this other man or his wife does
There is no question of your name being published anywhere - the family court does not do so