How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10772
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I have lived in this house five years , the mortgage

This answer was rated:

I have lived in this house for thirty five years , the mortgage has been repaid. The house was built in 1926 has a 99 year lease, therefore time is running out on the lease. The lease has been bought out several times and I don't know who owns the land now.I used to pay £6 per annum ground rent but haven't been asked for payment for a number of years. The property value would be approx. £300,000. Most of my neighbours hold the freehold.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

You can make an appilcation at the Land Registry, via their website, for copy of the Deeds to the Freehold. If the Freehold is registered at the Land Registry, you can obtain "Official Copies" which is the official name for a copy of the Deeds. The Offical Copies will show the owner's name and their address. Here is the link-

If the Freehold is not registered, you ar enot going to be able to find out who owns the Freehold by doing any type of search. In these circumstances, you would just need to speak to your neighbours who have recently purchased their Freehold and ask them for the Freeholder's details. Failing this, you can make an application to your local County Court to purchase the Freehold, on the grounds of an absent Freeholder.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you