How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71158
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

What can I do or who can I write to when a DC investigating

This answer was rated:

What can I do or who can I write to when a DC investigating a child abuse case takes a side and is partial in her investigation?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My Ex wife reported me to the police for abduction of our child and taking her out of the country, I was interviewed by the police 11 weeks ago and I have done all that they have asked of me, it is my believe that the DC handling the case has taken a side in her investigation.

My child is with my Ex wife family some where in Africa yet still I have been accussed of abduction, I was not interviewed under oath.

I know my Ex wife used our child as a tool so as she could be able to renew her visa which was due to run out last month, I mentioned this to the DC as well.

The said abducted girl is not with me or my family but rather my Ex wifes family and yet still she reported me to the police, I will like to report the way the DC handled the case and I was wondering if its the best thing to do and to whom I can write to.

I did send the DC a strong worded letter last week questioning her how she handled the case and also what she is doing to get the said abductted girl back to UK as she threatened me with arrest and prosecution if I do not do everything possible to return the girl back to UK.

Well, that is probably right. Sometimes they do lose objectivity.
To be wholly honest though, it would be a disastrous idea to act against her. If you are intent you can raise a complaint with her superior officer or the IPCC. They will not act against her though because it is very difficult to prove complaints about attitude which is the issue here.
In addition to that, police officers do sometimes start to harass people who have complained about them. It is quite interesting how the whole force can unite to target a complainer. Moreover, if you are still on bail to the police station taking any action will just rack up the chances of being charged several times over.
Officers are supposed to be impartial but the reality is quite often entirely different.
I'm very sorry but that is your position.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not on bail and I have not been charged by the police, All I was told is i should do everything possible to get the said abducted girl back withen 2 weeks or face prosecution but the child was not with me or my family but rather my ex wife's family and they are doing everything possible to stop that, the DC is happy with proceedings so far as I have done everything she has asked of me but i am not happy with her investigation as i believe she took a side in the case because it has been 7 weeks since my Ex wife had access to our childs passport and was suppose to go get her from africa but yet still she has not. just wanted to know what is the ideal way to raise my concern as I want my child back in Uk asap and the DC is doing nothing to facilitate that.

I thought you said you were interviewed 11 weeks ago?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was interviewed but I was not under oath as I mentioned earlier so therefore I was not charged or anything like that, the DC just wanted to ascertain what has been reported to her by my ex wife, its like a normal chat to know what was going on and i was not cautioned what I say or do can and will be used against me in a court of law.

That doesn't make much sense immediately.
If your wife made a report of abduction to the police then you should either have been a witness or a suspect.
If you were a suspect then she should not have been interviewing you otherwise than under caution.
If you were a witness then you should have made a S9 statement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think she mentioned something about as a witness, whats is S9 statement

I am not sure why she was treating you as a witness given that your wife made an allegation against you.
In any event though, you can complain to the IPCC if you are intent.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for all the advice, can you tell me what S9 statement is please.

Section nine statement.
A written statement taken from witnesses.
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you