How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34889
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

me and my wife are seperated, we have sold house, money has

Customer Question

me and my wife are seperated, we have sold house, money has been with solicitors for almost a year, we have agreed on a split of the money which is also in writing and signed by both of us, solicitors have the letter, they said they can't transfer the funds until they have spoken to my wife via phone or in person, they have left her numerous msgs, my wife wont contact them until i do jobs for her, like repair tv, do her house work, deliver sofas, remove old sofas etc, i have done all jobs but she still refuses to ring them. i just want to move on and my wife is aware of that, i just want my share but how can i get it if she wont ring or visit the solicitors.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are you intending to start divorce proceedings?
What split has been agreed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi, she has started divorce proceeding, without advising me, and she has made up reasons to divorce so that i cant do anything. there is 50 thousand with solicitors, we have agreed that she keeps 30k and i get 20k, we are losing out on interest and everything,, i just want my share so i can move out of my parents , which i was only temporarily meant to be staying at. when we sold the house we were living apart but still together , still dating etc, it was only when i sent her a letter about child maintenance , that i want to pay her in to her bank account not in cash payments, that she got angry and decided she wants divorce. all she has to do is ring the solicotors and confirm the letter that she signed, but she keeps using me to do jobs for her, and still demands cash payments from me. im trying to keep everything amicable as possible, i even have her texts msgs. we still communicate well, its just she wont ring.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
How far has the divorce reached?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i'm not sure, i did reply to the letter saying that im not 100% sure she wants a divorce, and gave my reasons why, i even spoke to my wife about the divorce letter, her replies were," its only a bit of paper, we can still date, i can't cancle it as ive paid for it". so since then i dont think she has cancelled it, but i have heard nothing since the letter.(4 weeks). im tryng to settle things without court and court cost being involved. i just need to know how can i get my money if she wont ring? she replies on me to do all er little jobs for her, which i do for her, but she says she will ring tomorrow,everyday. im currently viewing properties, i even said to her when i get my house she can move in with me when im settled. shes stuck in the middle of me and her son ( my step son) the main reason behind the divorce.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
I am afraid that your wife cannot be forced to make that phone call - unless and until there is a court order within the financial side of divorce proceedings
With respect I would suggest that you do not agree to do any further jobs for your ex until she makes the phone call.
If that does not work then you will need to make a financial application within the divorce proceedings
In the mean time you could offer to discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation
Please ask if you need further details