How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A Solicitor who is acting nephew on Legal Aid on a housing

Customer Question

A Solicitor who is acting for my nephew on Legal Aid on a housing matter asked him to write to the DWP asking them to confirm that he was in receipt of JSA from Dec 2009 to-date with the exception of one month when he was sick and claimed ESA in August 2012 following the death of his grandmother.
The solicitor also asked us to get them to confirm that in respect of his claim from Dec 2009 to-date the only address they had on the system for him was his current address.
After many 'phone calls and letters the DWP finally sent a letter confirming all the above details as correct.
When we gave the letter to the Solicitor he accused us of having tampered with the content which we denied, and insisted he 'phone the DWP himself and ask them to FAX a copy to him in our presence. The FAX confirmed that the letter had not been altered in any way.
We now have no confidence in him and wonder whether we should ask to be represented by another solicitor in the practice in Court at the end of next month.
We are frightened in case we are not represented in Court at all !!.
What would you advise?
Kate Taylor
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts : Hello Kate my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Yes you can change solicotor and have legal aid transferred.
Alex Watts : this is your right.
Alex Watts : Your nephew can ask the court to adjourn the matter if he needs to change solicotor.
Alex Watts : But he needs to do this sooner rather than later.
Alex Watts : But yes he can change solicitors
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: