How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Good Morning, I would be grateful advice. We

This answer was rated:

Good Morning,
I would be grateful for some advice.
We are a company carrying out the external cleaning of buildings. On 6th March we issued a quotation to a company to clean their building and on 10th March we received a telephone call from the customer advising that they wished to proceed and this was followed up on the same day with an email from the customer confirming a start date of 6th April 2015.
This morning we have received an email advising that they no longer wish to proceed with the works due to internal structual changes within the company.
Our terms and conditions were sent with our quote and these state that we reserve the right to charge 25% of the contract value should the contract be cancelled with less than 30 days notice.
The customer is stating that an 'official' purchase order was not issued.
This is what the email we received states:
' Can you progress with your plans to set up and start on the 6th April. I have copied in a couple of our team to support from this end. I will ask them to contact you directly should they need further information in advance of you arriving on site. "
Could you confirm that this email is binding?
Many thanks
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : How much is 25% please?

£14,100.00 + vat


Hello - I replied to you at 12.18 but have not heard back from you.

Alex Watts : Sorry I was in court.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation
Alex Watts : As its over £10,000 you will need a solciitor to represent you in court, you therefore may want to limit your claim to £10,000 to keep it a small claim.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: Thank you - so their email to us formed a contract?
Alex Watts : Yes indeed.
Alex Watts : can you start on 6th April. That seems clear enough
Alex Watts : Does that help?

Perfect - thank you :)

Alex Watts :

Great. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you