How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We carried out a test period on a customer site after they

This answer was rated:

We carried out a test period on a customer site after they were experiencing issues. the maintenance contract only covered 2 planned maintenances and labour/parts were not included. we told them that we would not charge them for the test period provided that we were able to carry out the works during the test period. They cancelled the contract a couple weeks into the 2 month test period and we then had to remove all equipment off site. We were unable to carry out the works and therefore charged for the works that we had done. the customer is now disputing and refusing to pay this invoice. what can i do
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : What is the cost of the invoice please?

Hi Alex. Thanks for your response, the invoice total is £960 incl VAT

Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

thank you for this. that makes sense. are we within our right to say that they need to pay this invoice? - they are disputing and saying that we said it would be non-chargeable (this is correct on the condition that we were able to complete the work which was not the case). we did inform them that it was non chargeable on the condition we were able to carry out the tasks

Alex Watts : Yes. They need to pay for work done.
Alex Watts : You did work, they should pay for it.
Alex Watts : Does yhetnhe
Alex Watts : does that help?

Yes. Very much so! thank you for your help. much appreciated

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you