How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kasare Your Own Question
Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1301
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

Any clinical negligence lawyers out there in the uk?

This answer was rated:

Any clinical negligence lawyers out there in the uk?
Hi, welcome to Just Answer.
Clinical negligence lawyers here on Just Answer? I am. If you would like to explain the situation more I will see if I can assist you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Can a hospital put a DNAR in place?

Hi Michelle
Sorry for the delay in reverting.
DNAR orders are designed to prevent unnecessary suffering and are usually only considered where the patient is close to the end of life. The hospital trust should have policies in place regarding this.
The General Medical Council approved guidelines which advised that doctors should consult with the patient when considering a DNAR order. If the patient is incapable of taking the decision for themselves, doctors must make enquiries as to whether someone else holds legal authority to decide on behalf of the patient. Finally, if no legal proxy is in place the doctors should consult with those close to the patient i.e. parents or children, partners, close friends or paid or unpaid carers, before making the order.
However, despite this, patients and relatives cannot demand treatment (including CPR) which the doctor believes is futile and in this situation and therefore the doctors professional opinion can over rule the wishes of the family. It is the doctor's duty to act in the patients 'best interest', whether that means continuing or discontinuing treatment, using their clinical judgment.
If a hospital has put in place a DNAR you should question the doctor for a full explanation why. If you do not agree, you should be offered a second opinion from another doctor.
It is a very difficult position for a doctor - they must be able to justify the order. But their primary concern should be for the health, suffering and quality of life of the patient.
If you feel a DNAR has been placed on your family member without due cause, then you need to raise this with the hospital. I would suggest first with the doctor and then make a formal complaint if not satisfied.
Does that help? If you have any other questions on this please ask.
Kasare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your detailed response. That has helped clear things up for me.
Not a problem Michelle. If you need anything further please ask.
Good luck to you and your family at this time.