How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am due to attend magistrates court next week charged with

Customer Question

I am due to attend magistrates court next week charged with common assault,
I initially attended court in December and pleaded not guilty,
I have advised the court that I shall be representing myself until I receive disclosures from the CPS,
After several requests by email for disclosure over the last two months no disclosure has been provided,even though I was advised the papers would be sent to me,
I am unable to prepare my defence,
My question is can I ask the magistrates to dismiss the case and if so,how do I do this
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
No. There is no power. The only time they can dismiss the case is at the halfway point in the trial or, if course, at the close of the trial.
You can ask them to make a direction that the crown's case is served upon you.
If you are seeking additional disclosure then you need to submit a defence statement and any information in the crowns possession will be given to you if deemed relevant.
Can I clarify anything for you?