How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12067
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have been left money in a will but rather than it be paid

Customer Question

I have been left money in a will but rather than it be paid to me can it b paid to someone to hold in trust for me if I want
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
If you request the executor or administrator of the estate to pay your legacy to someone else there is never usually a difficulty with this. Provided of course that you are not trying to conceal the legacy from any statutory authority.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just feel that I am not in the right frame of mind to benefit from my dad dying so don't really want the money I would rather it be given to my nan until I feel I can deal with it only thing is I am on part housing benefit so does that create a problem

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I understand that. You do, however, have to declare a change of circumstances in connection with Housing Benefit so you could have a problem with that, I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can I refuse to have the inheritance

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Yes you can decline it and it will go to the other beneficiaries.