How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

My mother is a registered protected tenant. Her landlord is

This answer was rated:

My mother is a registered protected tenant. Her landlord is actively in the process of selling the house she lives in. He has offered her a sum of £20,000 to give up the tenancy and wants an answer within 2 weeks.
Please can you advice us : How do we know if this is a fair sum and does she have to decide within this short time frame.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

The landlord wishing to sell his property is not a ground for possession. Your mother is under no obligation to accept any offer and does not have to leave for this reason. In terms of price this is a matter of negotiation if your mother agrees to leave. The usual starting point for negotiations is the difference in value between the property with a protected tenant and the property without. This may be (but might not be) more than £20,000. In terms of time this is up for negotiation, there is no time limit imposed by law.

LondonlawyerJ :

However you should be aware that in some circumstances the Landlord can obtain possession on the basis that he, or a member of his family or if the original landlord is dead his heir wishes to return and live in the property. If this is a risk then it may be possible for the landlord if negotiations with your mother fail that the landlord etc. may claim he wishes to move in to the property. This will not be straightforward for the landlord but may be a risk.

LondonlawyerJ and other Law Specialists are ready to help you