How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71051
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

The police arrested me when they executed a warrant on my coffee

Customer Question

The police arrested me when they executed a warrant on my coffee shop.
They served a closure notice on my cafe and did not allow me to attend the closure order hearing as they kept me in custody and now they closed me for 3 months I stand to lose everything. I want to appeal the closure order but am scared in case I lose and the costs are awarded against me. Do I have grounds for appeal as they didn't let me attend the closure order hearing so was unable to try to defend it
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What were the grounds of the closure?
Under what act?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo
It's the anti social behaviour crime and policing act 2014 part 4 chapter 3 section 80
The closure notice part has a test ... Nuisance to the public or disorder near those premises.
The notice lasts up 48 hours and leads to a closure order hearing at a magistrates which took place and I was unable to attend to defend it !
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
I will have a look now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
So that gives them a closure order for not in excess of three months.
You have a right of appeal. There is an automatic right of appeal from the Magistrates to the Crown. You do not need grounds.
If you lose then you will have to pay costs I'm afraid.
Can I clarify anything for you?