How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I gave my current landlord the agreed notice that I will be

This answer was rated:

I gave my current landlord the agreed notice that I will be moving out. I do not owe him any money in accordance with our agreement. He asked me for more money, stating it would protect him in the event of me stealing anything when I move out. He told me he has cameras in the flat, that I had been in his room and that my fingerprints were on his belongings. We had previously discussed my entering to his room to lock my car through his window and he accused me of trespassing. Despite me realising this was a stupid thing to do and apologising perfusely, he tells me I am a criminal and he will report me as a thief to my manager in work. It has recently come to my attention that this is not his property and that he is subletting without a lodger licence. My relationship with my landlord has been stained from the start. He asked me out, enquired about my sexual history, voluntarily did my ironing and handled my 'small items' from the washing machine despite me telling him I was uncomfortable about this. He would also insist on hugging me every day when We arrived at work, I had to start going to work at a different time to avoid this because he would not stop when I asked. I am not in a relationship with this person and never have been, I simply pay him rent for a room he advertised on our work Intranet. When his girlfriend visits he has sex with his door open- I asked him not to do this but he said 'I thought you were an adult'. It has been a nightmare and now he is asking for more money because I am a 'criminal' (which I am not) and threatens to report this to my manager. What should I do? I am at referencing stage of taking up tenancy elsewhere. I fear he will damage or put my belongings out on the street if I do not give him more money.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Do you share this property with your landlord?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes- I share the property with my landlord.
Proceeding on the basis that you have given correction notice then you are perfectly entitled to leave without further liability. He doesn't therefore have a claim for extra money unless of course you leave having caused damage or in arrears which hasn't happened yet.
If you refuse to pay then he probably will be displeased about that and they make a report although I don't know what he thinks your manager will do about it as it is nothing to do with it.
If he does cause damage to your property or allow others to remove it by failing to take reasonable care of it then you would have a claim against him for the value of the damage goods.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Upon asking for more money, He said he will have me convicted for trespassing and invasion of privacy and that I could lose my job with such a conviction- he threatens me saying he has my fingerprints. We had discussed my entering his room (walking to front window through an open door) to lock my car previously to which I had apologised for doing it. I was in a hurry and didn't think, it was an innocent action- that was the closest point from which my car would lock. now he uses it as a threat. He has asked me for my new address but I am reluctant to give it as he has really creeped me out with unwanted affection since I moved in. Am I obliged to give him my new address?
There isn't an offence of trespass.
There is an offence of burglary but he would have to show more than just that your prints are in his room and how he would know that anyway I don't know.
He does need your new address so that any claims could be pursued if he wants to.
Also, I hope you won't mind my mentioning this, but I really wouldn't raise this issue of sexual attention. Sadly, some young ladies are using things like that as an excuse and courts are getting tired of hearing about it. You lose all credibility when you start saying he has a sexual interest in you. Of course, he may. That has no relevance to the claim.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What might you mean by 'there is an offence of burgulary'? I have not broken in or stolen anything.
Would providing him with a guarantor address be sufficient? He won't accept this and I don't understand why.
Regarding your aside; I too am annoyed that some 'young' ladies have abused the system but sympathise with the legitimate cases for which credibility has been lost as a result of others.
I think you may have misunderstood my query;
He is looking for more money because he says the reason I am moving out is to steal from him. The reason I am actually moving out is because he has made me feel uncomfortable by the actions I have mentioned previously among others (our recorded meeting discusses these actions- You might find his comments about it of relevance if you were to listen to it).
I argued it was unreasonable to ask for money cause he 'thinks' I might steal something. He threatens to have me convicted of theft (at this point in time having not stolen anything) using my fingerprints. Which I agree is a fairly far fetched threat. I think he just wants money.
The answers I am looking for are;
am I legally obliged to give him any more money?
Am I legally obliged to give 'my' and not a 'guarantors' address?
What if he accuses me of taking something that I havn't?
I feel vulnerable after finding out he is a tenant himself and doesn't have permission to take lodgers. How can I protect myself from false accusation and how can I protect my belongings?
Yes, I understand your query.
As I've said really
1 No, on your account.
2 Yes, for the reasons above. He is entitled to sue you rather than the guarantor if he chooses. I'm afraid that alleging that he has a sexual interest in you will not avoid this. You need to be careful with this. If you raise it the court will probably think you are making excuses and you will lose credibility in what is otherwise quite a good case.
3 Then you will have to defend it. Sometimes that does happen but it does require more than a mere claim.
4 There is no way of ensuring that there are no false allegations. Any of us could be the subject of a false allegation at any time.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you