How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35071
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Due to lack of communication between my very dysfunctional

This answer was rated:

Due to lack of communication between my very dysfunctional family, it has just come to light in the last 4months that my youngest brother did not receive our dads will (he moved houses several times)and we are totally shocked that he was unaware of his rightful inheritance as a beneficiary. More shockingly is the fact that our dad died in Dec.,1999.
I received a cheque for my full inheritance (and I'm assuming all my other siblings did too) and there is at least one last grandchild to receive monies in 4 years time on reaching the age of 21years.
What would you advise we do?
Can we approach my dads solicitor and enquire about his rightful inheritance. I'm considering doing this as soon as next week. Or should we approach the executors. This might entail a rather frosty reception for my brother, but I can most definitely approach one of them without any animosity.
We feel it would be best to approach either of the above first of all and as a very last resort appoint a solicitor to find out where the money is after all these years
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Who are the Executors?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Clare,
Thank you for your reply.
Three executors were appointed. Two of my dads brothers (one of whom died last year) and the third our big brother, the eldest whom we don't communicate with unfortunately.
With regards
Just to check - the Will did leave your younger brother a share of the residue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Clare,
Just got my dads will to hand and the scheme of division of residue was divided amongst the seven children all equal sums of money. My brother is the 5th name on the list of seven.
i asked my brother to get bank statement copies for the period of one year as proof of no monies forwarded into his bank account.
Kind regards,
Then the starting point is to approach the solicitor and ask if there was indeed an un cashed cheque.
I will admit that it seems unlikely that the solicitor will not have acted on that in over 15 years as we need to account for the monies at all points - but nonetheless it is where you should start
If that fails then you will need to approach the Executor who is in fact personally responsible for ensuring that the terms of the Will are followed.
However until there is some evidence of what ahas actually happened (did the cheque get cashed illegally; was the executor notified of the problem etc etc) the way forward cannot be clear.
I hope that this is of some assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare,
Thank you for clarifying where my brother and I have to start our search for his uncashed cheque. There has to be evidence somewhere. Thank you for your guidance.
Kind regards,
You are most welcome - I hope all goes well