How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kasare Your Own Question
Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1301
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

. I lve in Cyprus, but my ex partner lives in England.

This answer was rated:

Hello. I lve in Cyprus, but my ex partner lives in England. There is £7000 that we have agreed I pay her over a period of 3 years at £200 per month from my bank account to her's, both of which are based in England. She wants me to process a legal document which is recognised there. Can you offer any solution please.
Hi thanks for your question, I will assist you with this.
Can you please advise is this a loan or agreement upon separation? Could you please explain the circumstances a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This would be a loan upon separation. She requires the monies for some goods that are here in Cyprus, and wants a legal document to say I will pay the £200 per month which would be legally binding.

Hi David,
Sorry, are you sure this is a loan? It sounds like you are going to pay her £200 per month up to £7000 to retain goods in Cyprus. Is that correct or is she going to pay you back?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is not a loan. I am paying her £7000 to retain goods in Cyprus, so she will not be paying me back.

Hi David
I thought as much. A simple agreement (or contract) in writing which is signed by both of you is sufficient. Make sure you have a copy each.
Essentially this document needs to set out:
1. The name and address of the parties
2. The date of the agreement
3. The specific items you are retaining and
4. The details of the agreed price (£7,000) and payment terms (£200 per month)
5. You can include a jurisdiction clause (i.e. in the event of a breach of this agreement the parties agree that the governing jurisdiction and the courts of England and Wales should be used) if you want.
This document does not have to be prepared by a lawyer (as you must know even agreements drafted by lawyers can be broken!)- but in the event that one of you does not comply you the other can use this document to present a claim for breach of contract in the court.
If you search online you can find many simple contract or agreement templates to use as a guideline.
Prepare something and send it to her and if she is happy with the terms have her sign 2 copies, return them to you and you sign and send her one back for her records.
I hope this assists.
Any further questions, please ask.
Kasare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you