How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

, I have to go before a Magistrate arrest

This answer was rated:

I have to go before a Magistrate for resisting arrest on 27/04/2015. At the time I was not of sound mind due to a mix of my anti-depressant medication and a mixture of tranquilizers I had had no experience with. I have no previous and cannot afford any criminal record as it will ruin my future career prospects that I have been studying towards for the past 6 years.
Should I seek full legal representation and is this a case of strict liability I cannot escape.
Kind regards
Matthew Connor
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
It isn't strict liability. You have to have mens rea but being not 'of sound mind' is not a defence.
It depends on the circumstances of the case but if the officers were acting lawfully and you did make their task harder in some way or another that amounted to a conscious act then that is resisting arrest I'm afraid.
You can seek representation. You probably will not get legal aid for it though so would have to pay privately. It can be worth doing that. It depends on the case.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your time.


No problem.
All the best.