How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

as part of my divorce settlement I was awarded 80%of the

Customer Question

Hi as part of my divorce settlement I was awarded 80%of the equity of our house once it is sold. That was 5 years ago. I moved out of our home then with my children the youngest was then 15yrs. My ex is preventing the sale of the house by letting it fall into disrepair. Although 80%of the house is mine, he continues to live there without any mortgage to pay whilst I am on sea and a small pension and am struggling to pay the rent of £630 per month. Is there any way I can force him to do the repairs in order to sell the house, as I desperately need the money now?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
If you returned to the property could you manage the repairs?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is no mortgage to pay now and I would be able to manage the repair because it would be a lot cheaper than paying£630 per month. The house is up for sale for £115,000

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
n that case you need to apply to the court for an order that your ex vacates the property so that you can prepare the property for sale and deal with the sale at a price set by the court.
You will need evidence of your ex's efforts to sabotage the sale, and pictures of the current condition if possible.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details