How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I want to serve notice on one tenant in a shared house. They

This answer was rated:

I want to serve notice on one tenant in a shared house. They have individual contracts. Her contract ran from 2 September 2014 so she has been in for six months. She has just paid rent on the 2nd April 2015. Can you please advise me of the dates I use for the notice to quit?
Thank you
***** *****
Alex Watts : Hello Patricia my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : What type of contract do they have please?

Assured Shorthold Tenancy furnished.

Alex Watts : Because she has paid the rent you can serve
Alex Watts : notice now to quit
Alex Watts : However it would have to take effect from 2nd May because she has already paid this months rent
Alex Watts : The date to leave would be 1st July
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Hi Alex, just couple more questions, what form/letter do you recommend I use to serve the notice and why July 1st and not July 2nd.


With regards

Alex Watts :

It is always 1 month less 1 day. They have to leave by that date.

Alex Watts :

You are issuing a Section 21 notice, which can be googled onlone

Alex Watts :

* online *

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?


Yes thankyou

Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you