How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Good morning, While in a long term relationship I was duped

This answer was rated:

Good morning,
While in a long term relationship I was duped into believing I was the father of a child and I am registered on the birth certificate as the father but after performing an online DNA test (piece of mind not legal test) it has excluded me as the biological father. The mother now wants to change the birth certificate to remove my name as the father but is in no financial position to pay for the legal test (approx £400). I am relecutant to pay out another £400 as i am unsure if the Registry Office will just accept this test. Can anyone tell me if I have any options, would I be refunded when it comes back negative?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you have a problem with remaining on the birth certificate?
Is the mother claiming maintenance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare, thanks for your reply. The mother wants to change the birth certificate and is on with it as far as I can tell. She sent me the attached letter from the registry office saying once they have the legal test / evidence they can take me off as the named father. And no she is not claiming maintenance.


Unless it bothers you that you are named on the birth certificate then you do not need to do anything at all.
If the mother wishes to change the birth certificate then she will need to raise the funds for the DNA test.
The only other option would be for her to apply to the CMS (new CSA) for maintenance.
You can then dispute the parentage of the child and apply for a DNA test.
You will have to pay for this upfront - but the money will be refunded when it transpires that the child is not yours
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok that's great thanks. One last part. Through my work, I have a death in service clause which is 2x my annual salary if I died while still employed, which would go to my 10 year old daughter which I have made clear on my expression of wish form with work. If anything did happen would the alleged child have any claim on that with me still being named as father on her birth certificate?

It would be sensible to ensure that the Trustees are aware that the child is not biologically yours.
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you