How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

, I split up from my boyfriend two months ago he owes me

This answer was rated:

Hi, I split up from my boyfriend two months ago he owes me £343 which he's been saying he'll pay me back when he gets paid since December and currently has custody of a £695 African grey parrot that I paid for that he refuses to talk about when I ask him for it, he now refuses to speak or text me back at all is there anything I can legally do to get back the money he owes me thanks Clare
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Why does he have custody of a parrot?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was something that we were supposed to jointly own but I'm the one that paid for it bought, my Ex has kids from a previous relationship and because we wanted the parrot to be friendly towards them we kept it at his house
That is a problem.
How long has he had him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nearly 12 months
However much our pets mean to us they are property like any other item. This was a jointly owned pet. You do have a claim for your share of the worth of the parrot but there is no realistic prospect of getting a court to force him to hand him over I'm afraid. He has had him for 12 months and is the usual care giver. A court would consider that you paid but would conclude that the parrot was jointly owned and that you should be paid your share.
In terms of the amounts he owes though that is a simple matter of suing at the small claims court. It is cheap enough to do so and you can issue here
It is probably a good idea to send a letter before action first even if you have already made those threats. It protects you from costs in the event of an unlucky outcome at court.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The money was given as cash and he borrowed money on my Argos card and bank card to buy his kids Christmas presents although there's no record of the money going directly to him would I still be able to take him to court
You would.
You will have to prove that it was given to him but you can point to various transactions on your Argos card and cash withdrawals on your bank account.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He also has keys to my flat that he's refusing to give back is there anything I can do about that
You could seek an injunction but it would be cheaper to change the locks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I live in rented accomadation my door is a fire door with built in lock I'd need to replace the whole door and the main door is an access door for the eight flats in the building so wouldn't be able to change the locks
But he couldn't get into your flat with that key?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He currently has both keys and can access my flat anytime he wants we live in different towns and its roughly 40mins between our to homes it was him that chose to end the relationship so chances of him turning up are slim however for some reason he is refusing to give back the keys
What you have to decide is whether it is really worth the cost of an injunction to you.
You could always report it to your landlord who may decide to the change the locks for security reasons.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you
No problem.
All the best.