How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35037
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I'm seeking legal advice, my ex partner has stopped me from

This answer was rated:

Hi I'm seeking legal advice, my ex partner has stopped me from seeing me son and I would like to find out my rights as a father and how I can go about it. Any information would be helpful
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and what contact have you had until now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

my son Oliver is 6 months old and I have maybe seen him a few time in the past three months.

I am worried about my sons safety because of the people around him,

as I know her new partner has had a past of drugs and mental illnesses. her brother who also lives with her is also a drug user and has a record of violence.

What contact have you asked for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been refused all contact with my son by the mother.

Just to check - are you named on the birth certificate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


what steps and actions do I need to take ?

The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.
Your starting point is to arrange to see a Family mediator
If your ex agrees to attend then great - but even if she does not you must - as the next step is the court application.
the mediator will give you the necessary form to complete and take to the local family court in triplicate and pay the fee of £245.
As a starting point ask for weekly contact at a local contact centre so that you do not have to see your ex and build it up from there
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need more details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you