How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Can you help please? Anglian Water are asking £10500 to move

This answer was rated:

Can you help please? Anglian Water are asking £10500 to move water main on our property. Materials are less than £500 and we have offered to do groundwork. They have refused and will not budge on price. Do they have a monopoly? What can we do about it - can we insist on doing the majority of the work ourselves?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Are the local contractors competent to do the work please?

Customer: Hello Alex. Yes. My husband has been doing general building and major groundworkfor over 30 years and has all relevant heavy excavation equipment and necessary tickets. When he queried if he could do the work himself and Anglian Water said no, he also made enquiries as to whether other groundwork specialists, who work for recognised housing estate developers, such as Hopkins Homes and others, could do it instead, the answer was still no. They said they don't work that way.
Alex Watts :

Indeed. As long as the work is done to required standards (and you get those before you start) then they can not stop you.

Alex Watts :

Anglian Water
Customer Services
PO Box 10642
CM20 9HA

You should write and formally complaint. This can be done at:

Alex Watts :

This will trigger the complaints process.

Alex Watts :

If they do not uphold your complaint then you can go to the Ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service and can be found at:

Alex Watts :

That should resolve matters for you.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: Thank you Alex. That is helpful - we now know they cannot refuse if we do the work to the required standards, and if they still say no we can try the ombudsman. Thank you for supplying the contact details as well as the answer.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you