How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I paid a deposit of £500 to a local hotel in respect of our

This answer was rated:

I paid a deposit of £500 to a local hotel in respect of our Diamond wedding. Since paying the deposit, my Wife, who has an advanced condition of Alzeimers has been in hospital with pneumonia. She is now out of hospital, but has deteriated quite a lot. I have asked the hotel for my deposit to be returned, but they say that it is non returnable. What can we do. I am83 years old and my Wife is 80.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How much notice have you given them? When are you due to stay?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is not a room booking, but a party to celebrate our Diamond wedding.. I originally booked ,at the beginning of February this year for party to be held in June, on a Friday june 19th. I asked for my deposit back three weeks ago
Are they likely to be able to sell the venue to somebody else in that time? Is there a waiting list?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As far as I am aware, there is not a waiting list. Friday is normally not a sort after day, not like Saturday
No, but I suppose it does attach to the weekend.
You need to check your contract with them. If it gives you the right to cancel then you can rely upon that.
Otherwise though, you are locked into a contract and trying to cancel was unlawful. They can only claim the sum of their loss from you though. If they are able to sell this venue to somebody else on that day then there should be no claim beyond maybe some admin losses.
It would be quite surprising if they couldn't do something with it. If they couldn't then they should be trying to claim the entire sum rather than just keep the deposit. They have some three months notice as well.
Nevertheless, the fact remains that they are refusing and you can only force them to comply by suing. It is probably a good idea to send them a letter before action giving them 28 days to make payment though before you actually issue against them.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you