How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I wish too marry an American citizen and bring her back to

This answer was rated:

I wish too marry an American citizen and bring her back to England to live. Without the immediate wish to work, is this allowed and how long is the procedure to do so? We have somewhere to live, as I own my house.
I believe there is the possibility of her coming here and staying with me for six (6) weeks, where we could then be married. What is the visa procedure for her to do this?
Look forward too hearing from you.
Yours Sincerely,
Hello Graham,
You will need to have cash savings of at least £63500 or be having an annual income of at least £18,600 p.a. To be able to sponsor her for a spouse visa or a fiancée visa.
If you meet the above criteria, there are two options for you:
1) she applies for a fiancée visa which enables her to come to the UK and marry you and after marriage, she will apply for leave to remain as your spouse; or
2) you both get married in the US or another country and she applies for a UK spouse visa to come and live with you in the UK.
She does not need to work in the UK on either of the above options.
The visa procedure is set out here, unfortunately,it is a complex process:
May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you