How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was caught speeding while driving my daughter's car. She

This answer was rated:

I was caught speeding while driving my daughter's car. She returned the S172, but it was received after the required date, (the usual reminder was not received) and she has received a summons for:
Fail to give information relating to the identification of the driver of a vehicle when required.
Speeding - exceed 30nph on restricted road - manned equipment.
She is hoping not to attend court, but we have been advised that they cannot prosecute her for speeding when she was not driving. I am looking at the paperwork with her:
Is it possible for her to plead Not Guilty to the speeding offence without attending court?
Will either offence affect her DBS, as she works with children and is concerned about this?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is there any particular reason she wants to plead not guilty?
She seems to accept speeding?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, she doesn't accept the speeding fine, only the late submission. That's the problem.

But isn't she charged with failing to identify as well?
Why doesn't she want to attend?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Partly because it will be difficult for her to get the time out of work, and partly because I think she is frightened she will say all the wrong things. It is possible she would go that route if she felt confident about it.

What was the date of the speeding incident?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

31/07/14 - I have everything scanned if that helps?

No, that is fine.
In terms of whether she has to attend the answer is that she does not. She can enter pleas by post.
However, it would be better to attend. On her account, she is guilty of the failing to identify but not the speeding. If she is pleading to the failing to identify then the Crown might well drop the speeding but she would need to attend court to offer that to the prosecutor.
Sometimes they will accept a plea to speeding from the driver in exchange for dropping the failing to identify but the speeding incident was more than six months ago so they are too late to charge you and obviously she cannot plead because she was not the driver.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The will have received the form naming me as driver within the 6 months, does that make any difference?

Not really.
They are entitled to have it within 28 days. That is what the requests say. If she didn't do that then they are entitled to prosecute.
You might get a prosecutor to accept that pursuing her is not in the public interest but you would need to attend court to make those representations.
I suppose you could put them in writing first but you would need to attend to discuss it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks. I need to think this through, and discuss with my daughter.

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you