How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Garage damaged accidentally dented my car and accepted

Customer Question

Garage accidentally dented my car and accepted responsibility. . but are they offering enough? Took my car into Halfords this morning for a mini service and oil change but just got a call from a very apologetic manager saying his mechanic badly scratched and dented the side when moving it and will. . 1) Not charge for the service (£119) 2) Pay for the full repair. .which I can get my own quote for or let them arrange. .I will choose the latter add I don't have time. 3) Pay for a hire car. I think that is reasonable but feel also that the disruption should be compensated and also feel that a damaged and repaired item had less value than one that has never been damaged and therefore this devaluation should be quantified and compensated or at least something paid in light of that. .. What do you advise?

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What additional loss have you suffered?
Also, I notice you have not yet left feedback for two previous answers so I would be grateful if you could do that now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I guess as I'm beginning to realise from the last two answers that people can not be legally expected to offer any gesture of compensation for their own action which has caused obvious inconvenience to someone unless that person painstakingly quantifies the inconvenience or embarrassment in monetary terms. .which is not always possible. In this case, we'd planned to go for a long drive a lot sooner and do other things , but we can't quantify this other than it has taken up the whole morning. . We are yet to even begin hiring a car. I have to arrange parking permit transfers etc. .. so our weekend is completely disrupted. So how comes we approach it?

As regards ***** ***** I was not aware this had an impact on experts being paid for their time. It's just I generally believe in the old fashioned way of getting a service and paying for it without the extra expected effort of participating in a survey or feedback system. .so nothing personal, I just don't do it in general anywhere. But I have now done so. Was unable however to raise the first one to it seems to want another payment.

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What else is it you would like to know?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't see an answer to my question
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Sorry my fault. What else would you like to know?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry; still no answer. .all I see is 'what else would you like to know?'. . Waiting for answer to original question. Maybe I'm missing something.

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. That is helpful although my main problem is I need guidance on how, if possible, I can go about claiming for compensation for an inconvenience that is not easy to quantify in monetary value? This is where I need the help. My weekend, which is the only free time I have with my partner, was completely disrupted and we had to cancel plans and spend the time instead running around back and forth to the garage and going to the airport to hire a replacement car (that being the only place open on a saturday at that time). Yes I can claim the £30 taxi fare - which is insignificant on the scale of things but what about my entire weekend disruption. Am I only covered for losses and not inconvenience? Basically I need compensation for the disruption of my weekend but need assistance on how to approach this. Can you help?

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
Sadly that will be limited.
To give you an idea a minor injury for 3 months is only worth £1700.
Therefore it wont be the same as that. In reality probably about £500.
If it is a weekend it will be a few hundred £.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It does.

Thank you very much.

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.
If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today. The button should be at the bottom of the screen.
If you need more help please click reply.