How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12182
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am selling my law business to another law firm over 6 years

This answer was rated:

I am selling my law business to another law firm over 6 years for £240,000. There is no property or equipment just good will. The business currently ears about £37,000 from residual income from storing Wills and a further £50,000 from probate and new client Wills etc. I will be paid £40,000 per year. Will I have to pay the whole CGT the first year or over the 6 years and will I get full Entrepreneurial relief. I am 64 and my wife is 59 (both directors)
Thank you for your question.
As the consideration will be received over a period exceeding 18 months, you can apply to HMRC to pay the CGT in instalments not exceeding the later of eight years or receipt of the last instalment.
So you could defer the tax until year 5.
You qualify for entrepreneurs relief if you dispose of:
a. all or part of your business as a sole trader or business partner - including the business’s assets after it closed
b. shares in a company where you have at least 5% of shares and voting rights (known as a ‘personal company’)
c. assets you lent to your business or personal company
So yes you will qualify.
I hope this helps.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Re my answer above the following article may be of help to you: